Learning and practicing Chinese can be fun and accessible with JMEC's laminated "Character Placemats." $10 donation each
Placemats are double-sided, featuring Chinese characters alone on one side, (by grade level). Reverse side features "cheat sheets" with the English meanings and pinyin (pronunciation). These make for great gifts! Use them also for inventive guessing games. Contact JMEC to order: firstname.lastname@example.org
front, back sides [above, below]
alternative back side
Free Quizlet Flash Cards
- These lists were effective for the 2012-2013 school year.
- The school district has the right to review and revise the character lists in future years.
- These are just the characters the grades are expected to master. Students are expected to be familiar with and read more characters through activities in class. Teachers may also add more characters at their discretion.
- These are character lists and not vocabulary lists. The characters can be put together to create many more words than the individual characters by themselves.
- The list for 4th and 5th grade is purposely shorter than in the lower grades. At this point, students are expected to have the skills to be more self-directed in learning characters.
Kindergarten List, side 1 (above)
Side 2 (below) includes English meaning and pinyin
front, back sides [above, below with pinyin/English]